Monday, July 7, 2014

Firecracker 5K - Race Report

Firecracker 5K - O'Fallon, MO
Time: 18:00 (PR, previous 18:11)
Pace: 5:48
Place: 3rd in 20-29 AG
Overall: 8th out of 1111

Wow, fun morning! I had doubts going into this one after a lackluster last 2 weeks and feeling some discomfort in a few areas of the foot/legs. I didn't know what to expect.  I've been building this whole spring towards a 5K PR and the biggest speed base I could muster going into this fall's 3:05 BQ attempt(s), and up until I started dealing with this foot issue I had been ON TRACK to hit it.   

I showed up at the Firecracker 5K in O'Fallon and got in a nice 1.5mi warm up.  My legs felt good but it's hard to tell until you really start pushing some days.  We took off at the gun and the front pack of runners I was in immediately split from the rest of the field. I felt smooth, relaxed and strong and settled in. I glanced at my current pace and we landed at right about 5:40 pace, but it felt like exactly what I needed to be doing.  I had put in mile repeats at that range earlier this spring and it felt familiar.  First mile was 5:41 and we rounded a corner and shot down a side street.

There were 3 guys running the 10K that were loping along at about 5:45 pace making it look stupid easy so I relaxed my form and tucked in behind them for a good pull up a nasty little incline. Mile 2, 5:45... my breathing was labored at this point and I was starting to really push and dig. The course went up a long slow grade at the 2.6 mile mark then turned around and came back down and onto the warning track inside the ballpark. (finish was at home plate) Mile 3, 6:03, GAH, pushing up that incline took a few seconds away. I sprinted around the warning track and down the 3rd base line as hard as I could to dip sub-18.... I thought I might have a shot at it and I could just FEEL like I was close.  I  was watching the clock all the way as I rounded the corner.... 17:56, :57...:58.. :59... I punched my watch and leaned across the mat and when I gathered myself the watch said 18:00. FLAT. EVEN. I hoped for a chip time of sub 18 but that was it.. official time 18:00.  Super stoked for a PR of 11 seconds from my high school days.  After I gathered myself I got in about 2.5 more miles of cool down back and forth to the car to get my Hammer gear on and get settled in for food and awards.

It was a real treat getting something positive out of my body, given the last few weeks.  It was such a relief to push and get a level of performance and response out of my legs and lungs that I don't often get.  The body goes in ups and downs and has aches and pains. But, it doesn't do us any good to doubt ourselves and all the work we put in. I felt strong... and I loved being out there racing at what felt like a high intensity, but still under control.  Now it's time to move forward into the next phase of training, building a bit of volume and stretching out that pace on the track to 10k and half marathon pace work.  One day at a time... eyes fixed on the fall. 

1 comment:

  1. This is just me being on my high horse...but I KNEW you had that PR in you. Sub-18 very shortly. Your wise training is paying off and will continue to do so. Favorite thing about this post "attempt(s)".

    ReplyDelete